Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Wetsuit Review- Mary Jo Pugh

Do I really need a wetsuit to race in triathlon?

If you are racing sprint races in the middle of the summer, probably not...
If you are racing Olympic distance or above, and those races occur in water 78 degrees or cooler...I personally think it's probably a good idea.
Why?

First, if you want to begin your lake swims early in the season, a wetsuit allows you to get in the water and do long, uninterrupted swims with a group of friends...in comfort. For me it also reduces my anxiety. I'm less concerned about things like, " what if I get a leg cramp in the middle of the lake?" or "what if I just get tired well into the swim?" While it isn't magic, it sure helps deal with little issues in a workout that may lead non-swimmers like me to be anxious.

Second, in longer races, a wetsuit gives you a speed advantage, leaving you fresher for the bike and run. It floats your bottom and legs...making you more hydrodynamic...faster pace for the same effort. If you are super-strong swimmer, you might be just fine without it, but even the pros wear a wetsuit when it's wetsuit legal...

If you decide to get a wetsuit, how fancy do you need to get? A lot depends on your budget and your training and races. If you want to start early spring lake swims, you will probably want a full sleeve wetsuit...it just keeps you warmer. Last February we went out to Boerne Lake and I was so cold with even my full wetsuit that I also opted to buy some booties and a skullcap. If you will be racing in the summer, you probably will prefer a sleeveless wetsuit because you will probably overheat in a sleeved model.

The are a wide range of wetsuts available. Some are very price friendly for those who want the advantage without going to the latest and greatest features. Some have all the new stuff and are really expensive. What you choose probably depends upon your budget. The March issue of Triathlete Magazine is the "wetsuit" issue. This issue describes most of the triathlon wetsuits available, the pros and cons of each suit, and a price range. I would recommend doing a little research before you choose a wetsuit...it is an investment!

No comments:

Post a Comment