Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Product Review - Guru

By Wes Anderson

This past fall I was looking to upgrade my bike. As a bike fitter I know choosing the correct frame can make or break your position. In the past I’ve found myself usually between a 52 or 54 cm bike and as a result had to make compromises to get into the correct position. After researching the company GURU I jumped at the chance to work with them to build my dream bike. Below I detail how the process works. First schedule a fit with Trisition Area. They’ll take key measurements, check flexibility, and help identify any special needs you may have for your particular frame. Once the fit session is done make sure to get online (www.gurubikes.com) and choose the frame type and colors you would like, you can actually build the paint and design scheme on Guru’s website. I chose the CR.901 in a beautiful black and orange. Once you’ve decided on the details Trisition Area will send in your packet to guru to get the frame drawn. Guru then uses a set of algorithms that, when loaded up with an individual cyclist's measurement data, produces an effective starting-point for an optimal bike design. Qualitative measures such as riding style, competitive goals and injury history are then used to refine the frame design in order to perfect its performance attributes. Within the next week you should have blue prints of your future bike frame. I reviewed my blue prints and made a few tweaks based on personal preferences. You’ll have the same option and can work with Trisition Area if you need any guidance here. Once you have approved the blue prints GURU goes into fabrication mode. It’s about a six-week process once the order has been placed before you’ll have your frame but it is well worth the wait. Guru offers several packages that you can choose from to build your frame into a complete bike or you can do as I did and work with Trisition Area to hand select the specs you want. This is a wonderful option Trisition Area offers as it lets you hand select things like saddles and aero bars that are very individual. I have to say I’ve been on my bike for two solid months of riding and love her more and more every day. The frame is super stiff with an extra large chain stay/bottom bracket area, this means great power transfer. The bike has a little bit more trail than my last frame that makes for smooth handling. But most importantly it fits great. I have a standard size stem without a ton of headset spacers and without a saddle that is pushed all the way forward or back to make my bike fit correctly. It is a very smooth bike that feels like an extension of my body. I highly recommend the frame. For more details on the fit process or the frame in general please feel free to email me at wes@trisitionarea.com. Thanks and enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment